Great War Essay Options
1. To what extent can it be said that the First World War was caused by the alliance system?
2. To what extend did the consequences of the Great War make another global confrontation likely?
3. Assess the importance of nationalism and selfish ambition as causes of the Great War.
4. “The First World War was a European civil war that required outside intervention to settle.” How far do you agree with this quotation?
5. How and why did the First World War bring about social and economic changes in any one European country?
6. Assess the role of each of the following in causing the First World War (1914–1918): the desire for revenge; economic motives; Balkan nationalism.
7. Evaluate the relative importance of imperialism, the arms race and the failure of diplomacy in causing the First World War.